It’s likely that as a homeowner you have been warned about the immense dangers that black mold can pose to you and those living in your house if it begins to grow there. This often invisible and toxigenic substance can easily grow anywhere and can go undetected for a number of years before it is identified. Fueled by damp conditions, black mold is not to be ignored as exposure can lead to a myriad of health issues like allergies, asthma, and even depression. If you want to know more about how you can identify black mold in your home and what it could possibly be doing to your health, continue reading below.
For the most part, molds are referred to as black mold. However, it is important to know that the color and composition tends to vary. While some mold can be seen or touched, there are others that can go unseen and cause irritation. In general, mold will grow where the air is humid. Yes, there are certain types of mold that will not cause harm, but when conditions are perfect, the toxins produced by certain kinds of mold can have serious effects on your body and overall health.
Most commonly, mold will hide away in places you do not look very often, if ever. This is often places like cabinets, crawl spaces, basements, and other areas that are most commonly damaged by water. Kitchens and bathrooms are also very common breeding grounds for mold because there is a lot of water use and most often a limited amount of ventilation.
You may not be aware, but there are certain people, who because of genetic and chemical factors are much more sensitive to mold than others. In fact, one person can have a severe reaction to a small amount of mold in an area, while someone else occupying the same space will not experience any symptoms at all. Additionally, the age or general state of health of a person can also cause reactions to mold to differ.
For the most part, physical symptoms of mold exposure often range from itchy and watering eyes to asthma and general issues breathing. However, there are some people who have much more serious reactions to being in the same space where mold is growing. These symptoms include nausea, sinus infections, problems breathing, and fatigue.
There are many different things that can happen as a result of breathing in black mold. For instance, one study conducted by the University of Michigan showed that breathing in black mold through the nasal passages could actually kill some of the cells that your body needs in order to smell. This could also lend to memory loss since your sense of smell is connected to your memory.
As we mentioned previously, those who are exposed to mold can also experience the symptoms of depression. While the direct connection between breathing in mold and this mental illness is not entirely clear, it has been established that people who live in damp or moldy homes are much more likely to suffer from depression.
The very best way to ensure that you and your loved ones are protected from the dangers of black mold is to complete a thorough inspection of your home often. However, we would also suggest that you just pay attention to any signs your body may be giving you. Often it will be your nose that indicates to you that there is an issue. Additionally, musty odors are a pretty obvious sign that you may have mold hiding away somewhere in your house.
There are plenty of things you can do to prevent mold from growing in your home. After all, keeping you and your loved ones safe and healthy should be at the top of your list of priorities. If you would like to know more about how to identify mold in your home or you would like for our mold remediation experts to visit you in Independence to complete a full inspection, you should contact All Clear Restoration today! We would be happy to help you feel more safe and secure in your house!